Forest City Gear’s green efforts
By Bernard and Company
Forest City Gear went green in a number of ways. Here is a picture of their “Zen” bench and sitting area.
In addition to an aggressive recycling program, Forest City has implemented a number of other changes:
- Changing lights from T-12 to T-8, using 25, 28 and 32 watt lamps.
- Tinting windows with low-E film, to minimize heat and lower energy costs during the summer months.
- Replaced several heating/AC units with high energy efficiency units (Energy Star).
- Installed programmable thermostats throughout the building, and a large ceiling fan in the plant.
- Sun reflecting covers for skylights.
- Replacement of less efficient air compressors.
- Strategically planted shade and fruit trees, shrubs and plants, all around the building’s grounds.
- Turning off plant lighting during the lunch period, and as required in bathrooms, lunch room, conference room and warehouse.
- Adding sophisticated power factor optimization devices on factory motors.